- 1 1/2 pounds ground venison
- 1 large onion, chopped (extra for topping)
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 12 oz beef (or venison) broth
- 1 quart crushed tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp powdered unsweetened cocoa
- 1 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Favorite hot sauce to taste
- In a large pot, heat oil of choice over medium-high heat. Once heated, add garlic and onion and cook until translucent.
- Add ground venison and jalapeno. Stirring often, cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Add chili powder, cocoa, red pepper flakes, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, and oregano. Stir to combine and cook about 1 minute. Add tomato paste and stir until well combined, allow to cook 2-4 minutes.
- Add broth and crushed tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook, uncovered for 2 hours.
- As the chili cooks, add hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with chopped onion and sour cream.
Note: Want a little ruffage? Serve the chili on top of fresh spinach, lettuce or spaghetti squash. Also makes for a great topping on hot dogs.