Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 4 bell peppers (various colors)
- 1 lb ground venison (of beef)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno
- 16 ounces diced/crushed tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp prepared horseradish
- 1-3 tsp hot sauce (plus extra for topping)
- 2-3 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Chop the tops of the bell peppers and remove the seeds. Turn peppers upside down in a baking dish. Make slits in the bottom of the peppers, and bake in preheated oven until starting to get tender.
- Chop up the pieces of pepper leftover from the tops.
- In a pan, heat 1/2 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add garlic and onion. Cook until onions starting to brown.
- Add jalapeno, leftover pepper pieces, Italian seasoning, paprika and salt and pepper to taste. Cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Add ground venison (or beef), stir and cook until cooked through.
- After most of the liquid has cooked off, add tomato paste, hot sauce, and horseradish. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Take bell peppers out of the oven and turn right side up in the baking dish. Sprinkle the inside of the peppers with salt and pepper and stuff them with the meat mixture. Top the stuffed peppers with hot sauce (or ketchup). Return to oven for approximately 20 minutes.
Note: If you prefer your stuffed peppers to have a little crunch, don't bake them as long before stuffing.