Pan Seared Venison and Potato Cakes
Pan Seared Venison Chops by: Rachelle
- 2 pounds venison chops
- 1-2 Tbsp bacon fat (or butter)
- Black pepper
- Granulated garlic
- Cayenne powder
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Allow venison to come to room temperature.
- Pat chops dry and liberally season both sides with salt, black pepper, cayenne and thyme.
- Heat bacon fat in oven safe pan over medium-high heat.
- Sear the chops in the bacon fat, 2-4 minutes per side.
- Move pan to the preheated oven and cook the chops an additional 4-8 minutes, or until cooked medium-rare (130-140 degrees).
Garlic and Onion Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 cups broth/stock (beef or venison)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Black pepper
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cayenne powder
- Heat butter in a saucepan until melted.
- Add garlic and onion, cook until starting to caramelize.
- Add paprika and cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer until sauce reduces by half and starts to thicken.
- Serve over pan seared venison chops.
Fried Potato Cakes
- Light tasting oil such as avocado (enough to cover
the pan 1/4 inch)
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1/4 cup onion (minced)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 1/2 tsp dried chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat light tasting oil in a deep pan.
- Combine mashed potatoes, sour cream, onion, egg, chives, salt and pepper.
- Drop spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the hot oil, pressing to flatten into cakes.
- Fry 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown on both sides.