Cloud Nine Breakfast
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 bell peppers (diced)
- 1/4 onion (diced)
- 2 Thai peppers (chopped) (optional)
- 5-6 strips of bacon (cut in half)
- 1 pint crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp plus 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 450.
- In two 9-inch cast iron skillets, place cut strips of bacon. Put equal amounts of bacon in each skillet.
- Cook bacon in the oven until desired crispiness.
- While bacon is cooking, heat approximately 1 tsp oil (or bacon fat) in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add diced onion and cook 3-5 minutes until translucent.
- Add diced bell pepper and Thai peppers (if using) to the pan. Cook 1-2 minutes then add 1 tsp Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Allow to cook until peppers are tender.
- While peppers are cooking, in a small saucepan combine crushed tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, coriander, paprika, cayenne pepper and 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook until until dish is ready to assemble.
- Separate egg yolks and whites.
- In a bowl, add 1/4 tsp salt to egg whites. With a hand mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Once bacon is crisp, remove from the pans reserving the bacon fat. Spoon egg whites equally into the pans. Create a "well" in the middle of each pan. Bake in oven 3-4 minutes.
- Spoon equal portions of the bell pepper mixture into the middle of each cooked egg white, lay bacon pieces on top and carefully place egg yolks on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Return to the oven and bake 2-3 minutes, or until yolks are set.
- Drizzle desired amount of tomato mixture on top and serve.
Notes: If you don't like your yolks runny, allow them to cook in the oven longer until cooked through. Save the unused tomato mixture in the fridge as a topping to add kick to other dishes.